Sunday 26 February 2017

How to improve the English


( Sorry I don't have photo to post so I direct use the Instagram Photo. Follow me if you haven't done so.  )

Hello Guys !
A lot of people ask me how I improve my English ? Guess what ? My English still consider poor okay ? Still using a lot of poor and slang English hahaha. By the way I still need to learn English. People always say : Learn until the life end. So learning is so important , you guys must not give up learning.

Back to the topic , how I improve English ?
The very first you need to learn is English grammar. It is very different from Japanese and Chinese. You must make this clear without hesitation. Back then I was so poor in grammar and now still poor ( my mum told me that when she checked my articles but now I improve a lot. )


Back to secondary school , my mum had bought me a small leaflet about the English. Seeing my friend got good result in her examination , I swear that I also wanted to manage English too. That's why it motivated me a lot. So I was referring that few leaflet and I know the concept. I start my blog back 2014 , all my articles will check by my mum before it post it to the blog. Hahahaha. Sometimes my dad also helps to check my English too. And I'm like wtf , because while he's checking and he laugh at me lol.

Then my mum say " Aiyaa , no one will care your English as long as they understand what you talking about lol. "
I was like " mum , don't be like this hahahahaahah "

Then my mum helped me check the grammar and she was headache because I was too poor back on this field , all are direct translation from Chinese. This is a mistake always made by a lot of mother tongue which is Chinese. Hahahhahahaha , my mum listed down all the grammar that I must be alert of. So now I don't repeat the mistake.

So this is how I began with my English.

Second , I have changed all my Chinese , Korean and Japanese dramas , animes and movies into English subtitles even novel also in English language too. Initially for me , is quite difficult for me to understand what it's talking about. While watching and facing the word I don't understand , refer to the dictionary and jot down the meaning in a small exercise book. I use three to four days to finish my western novel lol. I think I take a long time hahahahaha but now I can shorten my time lol.


I was forced by my elder brother back to secondary school. He downloaded all the anime in English subtitles and I also didn't know how to use website to download Chinese subtitles. I had no choice and  I love anime and I start my English subtitles anime. The very first anime I watched was Psycho-Pass , it was talking about the Psychological anime , all of the words inside were too difficult for me and every episode I really had to look for the meaning and then jot it down lol. Sound absurd but I did it.


Then I want to watch Yu Gi Oh , seeing Yuki Judai ( season two ) and Nameless Pharaoh ( season one ) really are my type of hot blooded favourite main character. Back then there was no internet or Chinese Subtitles for me to watch Yu Gi Oh and my friend recommended me a website with all of the old & new anime and I am still using it until now. I watch until Fudo Yusei ( season three ) and I can't wait to finish them because it's going to release season eight. Super excited , * ////// * (dokidoki

Then because of this , I'm lazy to find another Chinese subtitle website and I already have this website might as well watch other anime too. So all my hard disk 2000 GB plus my laptop 500 GB all are in English Subtitles.

A very simple English book for you guys to read , it was written by a Singaporean author , " Mr Midnight " & " Mr Mystery ". I think I have read all of them. And now the LIGHTNOVEL also released  English Translation , as for me , I read both Chinese and English. I learn the vocabulary from English translation but I read the content in Chinese language , hahahahahaha , because Chinese novel is much more wonderful and fantastic hahaha. ( I learn two languages at the same time )

In learning English , don't use any slang English both in written or spoken English. From the beginning , my mum urged me that , " Don't use any SLANG English while you're studying English " and I don't use any slang English like put the " lahh , eiii , whatever " But I use slang word hahahahaha , because it sounds funny lol.  But if necessary , must avoid both of them.

After you know the grammatical concept and a lot of new vocabulary , then start to construct the sentence one by one. For Asian people , we always hope that " keep it simple and short ". Yes , I do this while speaking , but I want to make my article more magnificent so I will add a little bit longer to my sentences. Hahahahaa. Then my mum teased me " See , still making the grammar mistake lol , I told you many times blah blah blah ."

For writing part , if you have followed me at Instagram and Blog , you will see that most of the post is constructed in English sentences. Keep writing will help to understand and remember the sentences structure. ( That's what my mum told me )

For English conversation with other people. I have used to type English , because one of my friend also wants to learn English might as well I also type English with her. But she always miss a lot of grammar in sentences and sometime I help her to correct it. Hahahhahaah , I just correct it but I have no confident in this field lol.

By the way , I search everything in Internet also using English , no more Chinese. For speaking , I watch US dramas with no subtitles. Initially you still have to watch the subtitles because you don't know what he / she is talking about. Western people always speak English so fast like we speak Mandarin here.

And now , because I have Snapchat and I utilize it and snap my private video in front of my handphone and speak English. Sound shy and awkward but I need to used to. My elder brother he forces me to speak English while calling him. My listening skill still need to be improve since I always watch English subtitles.

This is how I learn English , I hope it helps you guys too. Must put afford while learning a new language. I am on the way to learning Japanese Language too. Let us work hard together.

A post shared by _JudithKhoo (@judithkhoo) on



With Love ,

Judith Khoo







No comments:

Post a Comment